Repair and Tuning of Estey Baby Grand

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 25 Sep 2005 22:16:04 -0500

Robert,
You start by looking for foreign objects or substances or broken
parts.  Eliminating that you move on to friction
concerns.  Front-rail key-pin friction (rust on pin?), center-rail
pin friction, does the key return to its upright position?
I've been living with an imported Chinese grand on my floor, a rather
rough jewel.  There was lots of key easing to do.  Eventually after
that there were two that started to not come up, hammer flange
friction turned out to be the culprit, ream & re-pin.

When I started in Piano Technology I lived far away from the nearest
PTG chapter, four hours over three snowy mountain passes.  I missed
out on a lot.  If there is an active chapter meeting regularly within
reasonable distance, join.  The Randy Potter course is probably the
most comprehensive correspondence course available.

Good Luck,
Andrew