puzzlement

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Sun, 25 Sep 2005 21:22:09 -0600

Hi Ed,
Make a long damper stick say a foot long, hammer rail or anything handy =
felt. and apply to the bass strings just under the key bed. If this cuts =
off the over-ring the best might be longer damper felt on the bass. Also =
while you are under there check to see if there is braiding on the waste =
ends of the bass and tenor strings.
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ed Carwithen=20
  To: Piano Tech List=20
  Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2005 8:46 PM
  Subject: puzzlement

  The problem is a very prominent ring in all registers but particularly =
in the low.  The piano is an Everett console, #260365.  Fairly recent =
with metal support beams instead of wood in the back.  After playing a =
note or chord the dampers cut off the tone, but there is a strong after =
ring which can persist for seven to ten seconds.  The dampers are good =
and are sitting properly on the strings.  When the strings behind the =
dampers are pressed the dampers follow.  You can hear the actual tone of =
the struck note cut off when the damper recontacts the string, but the =
echo tone continues. =20

  The piano has metal casters sitting on a wood floor in front of a =
sheet rock wall.  It occurred to me that the casters were transferring =
the vibrations to the floor directly causing the floor to act as a =
general resonator.  I tried rubber furniture cups under the wheels and =
also a heavy rug with a rubber backing as well as the rubber cups on top =
of the rug.  There was no improvement.  I tried blankets in back with no =
improvement. =20

  Does anyone have any suggestions of things that might improve this =
situation by diminishing the after ring??

  Ed Carwithen
  John Day, OR