Grotrian Cymbalese

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 09:01:42 +0200

Hi Alan.

How did you go about confirming this ?  I wonder if this is another
sound that qualiflies as a <<sizzle>>.  This rivited cybal like sound I
refered to is easily enough quieted by masking off enough of  the back
scale and further quieted by doing the same to those front segments that
run over the two half round brass bars found on Grotrians. I should also
mention that if you mask off the whole thing Grotrians sound pretty
dead, at least to my ears.  Its as if they rely on these non singing
segments to fill out the overall sound.

Sometimes wish I had a really easy way of recording sounds in good
enough quality to make available to the list. Anyone have a good solution ?

Cheers
RicB

Alan writes:

I find that the sizzle comes from the plain section of string on the wound
strings between the agraffe and the start of the windings. It's as if it
acts as a separate string and the start of the winding actually creates a
termination point.

AF