worn-to-the-wood hammers

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 08:43:40 EDT

List

When hammer felt is worn through to the wood, what can be done, short of
replacing the hammers with new ones, to restore some semblance of tone quality?
I seem to remember a thread years ago on this...covering the hammers with
leather of some sort.   Didn't some older square grands have leather covered
hammers?   What type of leather?

In this case, the situation geos beyond 'tone quality';   the hammers in
octave 7, being shorter by virtue of there being less felt at the strike point,
are overstriking and hitting the capo, resulting in practically no sound
whatsoever.   I think covering them with the proper material would at least allow the
hammers to hit the strings.   This is an old Kimball owned by a family on a
budget, and not a candidate for replacing the set of hammers.

Thanks in advance for your advice,
Tom Sivak
Chicago