Hex glide capture

Avery Todd avery1@houston.rr.com
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 09:03:36 -0500

Joe,

I almost did this off-list since it's a little long, but thought
others might be wondering the same thing. So........

At 05:01 PM 9/26/05, you wrote:
>Avery Todd said: "Any piano that doesn't have the tuning pin type of
>glide bolts. The
>ones you use to bed the keyframe"
>
>OOOOKAAAYYYY! In other words, "standard" glide bolts?

Exactly.

>My next question: Why in hell would you want to use a cordless
>screwdriver? i.e. Hex Drive?

Not a cordless, definitely. I just was interested in finding
something that had the capture thingee around the end of the screwdriver blade.

>Not comprehending the need or purpose on this one, as "standard"
>glide bolts are easily accessed and turned with a short slot
>screwdriver. What am I missing here?

Here's the history: I went to the Shigeru Training Academy in LA last
August. When we had to start regulating our grands, I didn't have a
short enough screwdriver to get in there, so Don loaned me his
(gotten in Japan, I imagine). It had a capture/finder thing (I guess
you would call it) on a "longish" shank with a handle but was still
short enough to get in there under the pin block. It was similar to
the ones that Pianotek sells for the drop screws & damper flange
screws. Just shorter. You just rotate it a little and it drops down
into the screw slot.

Just after the trip, I'd bought one of Joe's short hex screwdrivers,
thinking that might work but didn't consider that the shank wasn't
long enough to get the handle above the keys, so I asked about
something similar to what Terry had in LA. I described it, Joe ended
up getting the measurements from Don (at my suggestion) and the rest
is history. Plus, we all know how Joe is. Always got to be modifying
something. :-)

On the Shigerus (& maybe the others) there are also two hidden glides
one has to get at from underneath the keyframe. I was given a tool
for that & the other end fits the flanges when aligning hammers to
strings. It's something similar to tools already sold for that but
this one is specific to Kawai, I assume, although it might fit others.

I haven't gotten one yet but now that Joe has gone to the trouble of
doing this, I feel obligated. :-D Actually, my original thought was a
longer screwdriver bit for the hex driver that would allow the handle
to clear the keys but this looks like it'll work fine.

Hope that clears things up for you a little.

Regards,
Avery Todd

P.S. Something else I learned (esp. for those who service Kawais):
The Kawai flange rail (below where the flanges are screwed in) has an
open slot the length of the rail just the right size for you to put
your fingers when pulling out the action. It's quick & safe. Feel for
it the next time you service a Kawai. I don't know how long they've
been this way, but they are now & it's great. Especially for voicing,
when the action has to be pulled in & out so many times!