worn-to-the-wood hammers

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 21:44:52 -0500

There's a piano in the shop now with an entire set of hammers covered as
Mike has described.  The original (wool) hammers are badly worn, but
reshaped before the leather covers were installed.

Paul C

Subject: RE: worn-to-the-wood hammers

Tom - I once knew a Romanian tech recover the old hammers - on TOP of the
old felt - with calf skin. That seemed to work! He just glued it at the ends
- on the shoulders. I'd be inclined to reshape them beforehand though! :-)

Regards

Michael G.(UK)

  Tom

    A gallon a gas, a nice cool evening, a match a kimball & some
marshmellows. That'll fix bout anything.

    Flamesuit on.     <http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/smi/0201d201a5/16>

  Dale

List

When hammer felt is worn through to the wood, what can be done, short of
replacing the hammers with new ones, to restore some semblance of tone
quality?     This is an old Kimball owned by a family on a budget, and not a
candidate for replacing the set of hammers.

Thanks in advance for your advice,
Tom Sivak
Chicago