Vice Grip voicing

Phil Bondi phil@philbondi.com
Wed, 28 Sep 2005 07:40:42 -0400

Hi all.

This is a technique that's been added to the ever-increasing arsenal of
voicing techniques..but it has been met with much concern and raised
eyebrows in the field..more than steam voicing.

Here's the scenario:

-Client's home with, usually, a newer piano. After tuning, I go through
the action with needles and vice grips. Needles will get a few
questions, but the vice grip method always, and I mean always, brings
another arsenal of questioning..almost as if they could do it themselves
if they were shown a thing or 2.

For those of us who do alot of in-home service of new to newer pianos
that really require this technique, how do you answer the questions
about the viability and the longevity of the technique. Of course, after
hearing the difference, their brows come back down towards their eyes...

Thanks,

-Phil Bondi(Fl)