Krakauer Spinet

John Delmore jodel@kairos.net
Wed, 28 Sep 2005 09:49:12 -0500

Okay, a friend of mine wants to get rid of his late mother's Krakauer
spinet.  I went and took a look, it's in really good shape for not having
been tuned/serviced in probably forty years.  She didn't play (one daughter
took lessons for several years), it was just furniture.  It was bought new
in 1954 (he has the original receipt, forgot to write down the sn), and kept
safe, dry and clean.  Moderate wear on the hammers, a couple of sluggish
keys, tuning pins are nice and tight-no major problems.

So, my questions:

1.	Was this piano made before the Chinese takeover?  I've searched the
internet and found that Krakauer was once a respected company, but then went
to China, and became known as "crackhouser" <smile>.
2.	Assuming a market where newer, crappy Baldwins are regularly
advertised at about $800-$1000 (newspaper, I don't know if anyone BUYS
them), what would be a fair advertising price?
3.	Should I talk him down, and buy it as a "spinet lab piano", to go
with my "Behemoth Brinkerhoff" lab model?

Thanks for any advice.
John