Vice Grip voicing

J. R. White jrwhiteltd@msn.com
Wed, 28 Sep 2005 11:48:57 -0700

Voicing with the vice-grips, i.e. multiple-needles, etc., is far too radical
for any but the trashiest pianos.  One cannot produce subtle tonal changes
with such a tool.  Voicing is about subtleties.
When I'm voicing any world-class instrument, I'm very conscious of making
subtle adjustments, and of the need to make them GENTLY.
My tools are instruments, not bludgeons.  So is my technique.
Ross White

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Barbara Richmond
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 6:38 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Vice Grip voicing

Hey Phil,

Gee, you must be a lot more interesting than I am.   I can't say I've ever
had anybody watch while I've done that kind of work.  Now I'm going to have
to think about what I <would> say, without scaring them by blurting out
something unsuitable like, "Man, if these hammers get squeezed in the wrong
place, they're toast."   ;-)

Barbara Richmond, RPT