[Files] Re: B 458198, string deflections

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 07:49:54 +1000

Hi Kent and all,

>Following up:
>
>My observations do not confirm the presence of significant grooving
>on the bridge, no evidence of aggressive string seating, just some
>scuffing as the route of the string over the bridge changed. Try
>this view and note that the damage to the bridge is more obvious:
>
><http://tinyurl.com/dkjo2>http://tinyurl.com/dkjo2
>
><https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/files/attachments/9f/c1/94/30/dscn1194.jpg>https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/files/attachments/9f/c1/94/30/dscn1194.jpg
>
>I'm still convinced that the high angle of string off the backscale
>side of the bridge is a source of the damage. The pins along the
>speaking length side of the bridge do not show significant movement.

I totally agree with you Kent. Excessive string angle is almost
certainly the primary cause of failure of this bridge. Its not only a
poor layout but it is poorly executed. Look at the
second-note-from-the-left pin group. You'd be hard pressed to find
any more careless  bridge pinning anywhere. And this manufacturer
still claims to be building world class pianos - I very much doubt
it. Notice also that the deformation of the left-rear bridge pins (as
viewed in the above links) appear to be exhibiting greater
deformation than the right side unison bridge pins. The bridge pins
are laid with a relatively close spacing of the unisons (although
there are more severe examples of this than the bridge shown). This
allows bridge-pin failure to sort of stack up, with the greater
movement being in the pin which is being forced towards the other two
bridge pins. I've noticed this before from various manufacturers who
should have had better corporate memory, since they've on occasions
reverted to this inferior layout after doing it better at a previous
time.

Ron N's post which includes vector force calculations for the various
pin angles shows why such poorly laid high-offset bridges fail more.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers