B 458198, string deflections

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 00:16:39 +0200

Of course the problem with this is that we are looking at one instance
where there is really no way of confirming what the direct cause of the
bridge deterioration is.  One can conclude what one will to be sure, but
IMHO an objective assesment simply has to leave the question open ... at
least on one isolated instrument.

Now... if one finds this to be the case on all instruments that have
this string offset... be it one or two strings because of some placement
problems on the plate or because the whole darn plate is offset... then
one has a very good case for making that recommendation.  Personally, I
see a lot of pianos with a few strings way offset like this and I have
never noticed any correlation between the kind of bridge deterioration
pictured here and the string angles.  So I am forced to conclude
differently then Kent does.  I dont really see that there has been shown
to be any real undesirable soundboard loading either. The suggestion was
aired but there is absolutly no data as yet to support the idea.

Understand me correctly.  I think piano manufacturers should strive to
avoid such sloppyness.  I just dont see anything here that would make me
go out and start shouting wolf.  Not as yet at any rate.

Cheers
RicB

The problems with the bridge deterioration that I for one attribute
to the extra side bearing is enough to keep me recommending against
such pianos. Add at least the possibility of undesirable soundboard

Kent