Chinese Pianos

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 28 Sep 2005 19:16:30 -0500

Man, that's cold, or as Confuse Eass might have said: "Mai tai diss awgree? Yew no want Chinese Junk pi anos? Then we ship yew shiny new Chinese Junk eyboards."

America taught the world that you could succeed making junk pianos (and cars) that the American public would buy, and we made a ton of them. It took the Japanese, mostly, to remind us that quality competes very well. Shall I turn down a new Pearl River grand to rush out and rub elbows (or replace elbows) with a Gulbransen spinet?

Such a political statement would have zero point nada dot zip effect on the national economy or political will, but would seriously threaten my family's economy.

I don't even blame the Wal-marts of this world. Americans universally DEMAND low prices, quality comes a VERY distant second in most cases, most people, most products. So we get what we pay for; and I still think that 95.743 percent of all pianos are sold with this comment from the buyer: "Oh, this one is really pretty and, oh look, Bob, it's only $xxx"

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

----- Original Message -----
From: Joe Garrett
To: pianotech
Sent: 09/28/2005 6:56:29 PM
Subject: Chinese Pianos

All,
I doubt that this will do one whit of good, but I've gotta say it anyway. I completely REFUSE to work on Chinese Pianos. The Chinese are inundating our society with all sorts of "cheap" products. The Corporate types are buying into it. Hence, OUR work force is hard pressed to compete on any level. For those clients that own Chinese Pianos, I simply refer them elsewhere. I know that a large majority of technicians refuse to work on Square Grands, why not the Chinese pianos? I consider a Square Grand ten times easier to cope with than the Chinese POS's. I refuse to be a party to undermining my own economy. If every technician would do the same, a lot of those Chinese PSO's (actually it's a compliment to call them such, IMO.), would wind up in the land fill, where they belong....or, better yet, send them back to China and let their people contend with them.
End of Rant. Thanks for letting me.<G>
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police