key broken by two techs

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 07:38:54 -0400

It would help if we could see a picture of the key, but I suspect John =
Ross has the right approach. And John Delmore is correct to suggest =
concern for the repair strength. Chances are that you will not have =
perfectly mated repair surfaces - which are required for most glues. =
This is a perfect application for the West System epoxy two-step bonding =
method, and IMHO, will result in the best, strongest, most accurate =
repair.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----=20
From: "John Delmore"=20

> For added strength (you don't want to have it break again!), you could =
consider sawing as you mention, then making two evenly spaced =
longitudinal cuts across both sawn surfaces, and gluing in splines with =
the grain traversing the oringinal cut.  If you're very careful about =
lining everything up perfectly, it should come out okay, maybe a little =
trimming/sanding.  I think carpenter's (yellow) glue would probably be =
appropriate, since, hopefully, no-one will have to re-visit this one!