Problem Replacing Treble String

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 18:39:54 -0300

Problem Replacing Treble StringHi Jon,
What did you make that out of?
Was it an old screwdriver, adapted?
It looks like something to have.
I have always used an actual pin, adapted to work.
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jon Page
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 12:39 AM
  Subject: Problem Replacing Treble String

  >I am having a problem replacing treble strings. The end of the wire =
  >always pops out of the hole in the tuning pin when I try to put the =
  >first turn on.

  To replace a broken wire it is advantageous to make the coil on a dummy pin
  and install the coil in the piano.

  You start by installing the loop and cut the ends to 'four fingers'.  Make the coil
  on an extra pin, remove the coil and transfer it to the pin in the piano.  Lift the
  coils as you tighten the pin and squeeze the becket in at or before it reaches
  the "12:00" position. I use parallel pliers. Also use the pliers to tighten the coil
  around the pin when it's up to pitch and tap the coil square. Tap the loop at the
  hitch pin to insure seating.

  When setting up the pin to receive the new coil, have the becket hole positioned
  at 5:00; it only takes 3/4 turn to bring it to pitch. This is why transferring the coil
  doesn't loosen the pin as much as backing the pin out three turns to make the
  coil on the pin in the piano.

  Get this down and you're ready for the next assignment...knot tying.

  My dummy pin is cut off 1/4" below the becket hole to get into tight spots. It also
  has a cut from the bottom up into the hole so the coil will slip off without having
  to expand it; this is good for the treble wire but heavier bass wire has to have the
  coil expanded because of the stiffness of the wire for the becket to be transferred
  comfortably. Attached is a picture of my dummy pin in a stringing crank.
--

  Regards,

  Jon Page