small vs large grands

Mark Potter bases-loaded76@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 19:21:59 -0700 (PDT)

Stephen -

I would say that 2b is a reason that I have personally never come across in 27 years of piano servicing.  2a, though, is a legitimate concern.  And short-circuiting #1, well.... that's cheating!

Mark Potter

Stephen Birkett <sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
Why do consumers buy a small grand instead of a large grand?

Two obvious reasons:

1. cheaper
2. more suited to domestic conditions because
(a) smaller footprint and/or
(b) not as loud

but it's not clear which of these is the driver, and whether
different reasons apply to different classes of consumer.

I'll pose a hypothetical question and short circuit reason #1:
suppose all grands of a particular famous make sold for the same
amount. Would you expect reason #2 to still drive consumers to the
smaller grands, and if so is it (a) and (b) that kicks in? or would
you expect most consumers to go for the big grands and somehow make
them work in their domestic circumstances?

Stephen
--
Dr Stephen Birkett
Piano Design Lab