refelt vs new hammers

Quentin Codevelle quentin.codevelle@tiscali.fr
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:24:57 +0200

Hi Stephane,

Where I work, we usually refelt the old moldings on very old pianos, say =
between 1900 and 1930.
It is often better to keep the old moldings because some manufacturers =
used very specific moldings that are not being produced anymore (for =
example, Erard grand moldings, or other french instruments).
You cannot always find the proper shape of molding.

For younger instruments (say, after 1950), we change the original hammer =
heads with new Renner ones with Wurzen felt.

About the underfelt, I asked Andre about this, and here is what he =
answered: "Underfelt is a protection for the extreme crease or fold in =
the outer felt layer during the pressing. If the molding is sharp, the =
felt layer(s) will get damaged during the pressing.
Underfelt also adds more mass to the hammer, so you don't need such a =
thick outer felt layer.
All in all, a hammer with underfelt is a more balanced hammer."

that is a clear answer !

Bye,

Quentin