refelt vs new hammers

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 08:52:47 -0700

David I asked: "I was trying to figure out how they could get the =
pressure needed for=20
tension in the felt and just how do you clamp all those individual=20
hammers together without some popping out?   I'd love to see some=20
pictures of the process..."

David,
If you can get an OLDE Renner catalogue, there are pictures of the =
process. Of course, you have to be able to read German to read the =
captions.<G>
I've had a couple of sets of hammers refelted, years ago. My experience =
is that the overall tension is less than it should have been. It is =
basically a "cold" process. In instances where the hammer moulding is =
"odd", as in many "antique" type pianos, this is a viable "restoration" =
process. FWIW.<G>
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police