Steinways / David Andersen/ Ric B

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Dec 8 10:51:08 MST 2006

Hi Dave

I said forced (for the present).  Which is quite different then forced
period.  They are forced for the present to do rely on dealerships
because thats the buisness relationship they have opted for all these
years.  There is no doubt money involved here... there always is.  If
Steinway is to change that relationship they will have to spend more
money at the factory... and hence take more money from the dealers...
and that means changing the game board.  These kinds of things are not
done over night.  I am sure there are some contractual arrangements
between say Sherman and Clay and Steinway that simply would have to be
addressed.

As far as actually making this change... I think I have already gone on
record expressing my opinion that this probably would be a good idea...
as it seems to have worked quite well here in Europe.

Cheers
RicB

    Ric,

    Why is Steinway "forced" to rely on dealerships to perform adequate
    prep work?  There are many pianos that are in a far better state of
    preparation coming from their respective factories.  I'd name a few,
    but it's a pretty long list.

    Steinway isn't forced to do anything.  Like other businesses--and
    individuals, of course--they make their choices.  They choose to
    send unfinished products to the dealers, and many of them escape
    into the field as such for many reasons.  If the dealers aren't
    living up to their end of whatever bargain they have, other
    arrangements with independent techs should be worked out, as you've
    suggested.

    It would seem to me that S and S would be playing it safer if the
    standards of what is coming out of the facotry was raised.

    Regards,

    Dave Stahl