squeeky damper springs

Barbara Richmond piano57@insightbb.com
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 11:23:16 -0600

------=_NextPart_001_0017_01C627EB.10297CB0
Hey folks,

I serviced this Kawai UST-7 (built in 1983) before Christmas.  At the =
time, the bolts had already been installed by someone else to hold the =
damper pedal down, and I tightened the screws for the (right side) =
damper trap lever assembly to keep it from blasting off.  Miracle cure!  =
Ah, but there was still noise, I treated the damper spring felts with =
Protek--which seemed to take care of the squeaks.  I was hoping that =
would be the other miracle cure.

I went back to take a picture of the pedal assembly, which is a little =
different.  The damper pedal pulls down two levers--one to the right, =
tenor & treble, and one to the left, the bass.   Could it be this set-up =
that makes the pedal feel somewhat stiff?  It would make sense, since =
two trap lever springs are being pushed down.  I didn't notice a stiff =
damper spring feel in the action itself (after I lubed the spring felt). =
=20

When I went back to take the picture last week, I noticed that the =
squeaking is back.  I'll admit it, I was in a hurry and didn't take a =
close look at the felts.  I suppose cleaning the damper springs and =
replacing the spring felt is next.  Is there a different (faster) =
solution--like some miracle lubricant I haven't heard of that came on =
the market while I was on leave?

Thanks.

Barbara Richmond
------=_NextPart_001_0017_01C627EB.10297CB0