Is it worth saving? (was Pinblock CA after Dope?)

Geoff Sykes thetuner@ivories52.com
Sun, 5 Feb 2006 12:23:22 -0800

I have one customer with a piano that I plan on doing a CA treatment to. =
gorgous overdamper in really good shape that I have talked about in =
previous
posts. I have learned a lot from this list on how to go about that
procedure. But after reading many of the posts on this topic, and =
thinking
about the majority of pianos I have come across with loose tuning pins, =
have to ask how often does anyone on this list actually come across a =
piano
with loose pins that is really worth a CA treatment? My experience is =
that
most of them are not worth saving in the first place in that even after =
the
pins are tight the piano is still going to be junk. In situations like =
this
I frequently suggest to the costomer that the money spent on this kind =
of
work would be better spent on a replacement piano. Of course that call =
is
ultimately up to the piano owner, but I'm just curious as to your =
thoughts.
=20
-- Geoff Sykes
-- Assoc. Los Angeles