Let me restate the question

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 6 Feb 2006 06:31:59 -0500

There is no doubt in my mind that one could build such a panel (or subpanel)
that ended up with something very close to an equal of a traditional RC&S
ribbed soundboard regarding strength - or support - you could make it have
the same/similar spring characteristics (isn't that what the objective is?).

Now, I'm not sure that panel would be the same thickness as a "normal" panel
(although I don't think it would be radically different).

And as long as we are laminating up five or more laminations, if a designer
felt one or more inner plies at some other angle would be beneficial, that
wouldn't be too much of a problem to build.

But I think maybe the real question is - how well would this structure
function as a panel?

The curved structure that looses about half its unstrung crown after
stringing shouldn't be too difficult to build. But what would it sound like?
How would it affect the panel-type response to string/bridge vibration?

With respect to your Bluthner and keeping the panel original-looking, I just
had a thought. Even if all these wild thoughts had some merit, do you know
what the underside of your soundboard would look like? Presumably the
laminated panel would have to be tapered in a way not all that different
from what Del and Ron N are doing with their laminated ribs. Are you ready
for that? I think it would be kinda cool, but maybe not very
original-looking. But then again, are you really going to have people
crawling under this thing with flashlights and magnifying glasses? And
maybe, after the panel/rib structure is constructed - especially considering
there would no ribs at some point, after tapering - perhaps one could just
apply one more veneer of spruce over the tapered underside of the structure
with the grain going in the desired aesthetic direction.

Just some random thoughts.

Terry Farrell