Pinblock CA after Dope?

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Mon, 6 Feb 2006 19:51:44 -0500

Well I'll weigh in with Susan again on this one. I do lots of CA treatments
and anymore I never use more than 2 oz. Rarely do I have pins needing
additional treatment, but if they need it, I just give it to them. If it is
an upright there is no need to lay it down again. I usually use Susan's
method. I have q-tips handy to mop up any glue that runs down. For heavier
duty treatment, pull the pin and squirt some glue in the hole. I have never
had that trick not work.

It is important to keep in mind that CA must have moisture to set up. On a
previously treated block there may be very little residual moisture left. It
may require a few days time to see results. In Andrew's case I suspect this
may be what he is encountering. Because the block is sealed from previous
treatment it won't appear to soak up glue as readily as it did before. Rest
assure some glue is going in and it doesn't take much. But it may take quite
a bit longer for it to set and see results.

If the pin holds it does not need to be any tighter. A tighter pin does not
give better tuning stability. My experience is just the opposite. A tighter
pin is harder to set and tends to yield greater instability for this reason.

I have done bottom side grand treatments, especially on really bad blocks. I
haven't noticed enough difference to justify the added work. Now I always
treat from the top and I don't have any problems. I figure if there ever
comes a piano that the top only application does not work I can always tip
it over and do a bottom application.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272