Answer to puzzler

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 7 Feb 2006 19:00:10 -0800

That's just what I was going to say...mice

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, California

Original message
From: "Alan Barnard"
To: Pianotech
Subject: Answer to puzzler

Didn't get very many responses to this puzzler, but I wil reveal the an=
swer:

Conover upright, newish.
Customer complained that the soft pedal didn't seem to work.
Found that the prop stick was not in the hole. Put it in the hole and r=
egulated it.
Tuned the piano. Drove away.
5 minutes later, I get a call on my cell: "Two notes don't work when I =
press the soft pedal."
Turn around, go back. Sure enough two notes (f3 and g3) don't work unle=
ss you hit the keys quite hard.
What was wrong?
Hint (things that were NOT wrong): No hammer interference or any proble=
ms with rubbing or interfering parts. No foreign objects. No keystick p=
roblems. No loose screws. No flange problems. Nothing broken.
Hint: The fix took one tool and about 30 seconds (after about 3 minutes=
 of professional analysis and diagnosis, i.e., chin scratching, confuse=
d wonderment, and blank staring).

Answer: Letoff was so early (about 1/2 inch) that, with the rest rail l=
ifted, there just wan't enough oomph in the key stroke to throw the ham=
mer to the strings. I ended up adjusting letoff on most notes and incre=
ased aftertouch on the whole piano by replacing the front rail felts wi=
th thinner ones.

"Why not just remove punchings?" you may ask. (Go ahead, ask, you know =
you're dying to...) The reason was that many notes had no punchings wha=
tsoever under them, and many others had just one or two thin ones!

I don't think it was set up well at the factory and certainly not in th=
e store.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri