Report on Yamaha GB-1

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 7 Feb 2006 20:56:58 -0600

------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8
Saw my first Yamaha GB-1 today.

Someone asked for a scale description. I didn't have time to measure anything but here are my observations.

It looks just like the GA-1 except, ta daaaaaa, they have replaced the first six tenor bridge strings with wound bichords (B2 to E3).

The first two or three plain-wire notes still tune like low-tension, heavy wire. We'll see how it goes for stability as I will be back for the second "Yamaha Bond" tuning in about three months.

The temperament area has a steep deck and heavy underfelt sloping to the agraffs so tuning was not quick or fun and, when the strings and felt get dirty I think it's going to be even less fun.

There is no troublesome inharmonicity jump across the bass/tenor break, apparently, but a big one from wound strings to plain, just below the temperament. These are some measured Inharmonicity Constants (TuneLab) ...

C1    0.631
C2    0.157
A2    0.183

--- Tenor Break ---
B2    0.139
C3    0.148
D#3    0.189

--- Plain Wire ---
F3    0.399
G3    0.327
C4    0.429
F#4    0.558
C5    0.618
F#5    0.798
C6    2.255

It didn't make a very pretty calculated tuning curve ...

But then, it IS a small scale.

Voicing would help (clangy bass, Asian treble) but, overall, it has a nice, sweet tone--when in tune--just like the other small Yamahas.

I did some experimenting and found that it is one of those pianos that could really benefit from a good aural tuning, with resulting offsets saved in the TuneLab file. Specifically, I'd make the A3-A4 octave slightly wider (which is quieter) then flatten everything south of A4, slightly, to slow down 4ths and 5ths a tad, even out the bass transition and maybe give the bass a little more muscle (after voicing, I think). I didn't think to analyze the treble octaves, double-8vas, and fifths as time was pressing but, overall, the TuneLab tuning sounds more than acceptable and certainly better than most of the crap pianos I tune, but I digress ...

Anyway this owner is a play-by-ear, not-very-good player with a tone-deaf husband and I don't do enough aural to be fast at it, so she gets the computed curve, for now. She asked me to play so I gave her some Debussy, Chopin, and Brahms: She loved it and considering that I am a guitarist, not a pianist, I took it as a compliment to the piano and the tuning, rather than the performance.

That is my report. Overall? Better than the GA's ... but consider a Kawaii next time. Or better still: Spring for a few more inches of piano -- maybe a Fandrich & Sons -- (I like 'em).

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri
------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...