440 vs 442

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Wed, 08 Feb 2006 09:55:29 -0700

At 04:11 AM 2/8/2006 -0600, you wrote:

>Back in '79 or '80, I was working for a Phila area dealer and sent to the
>Academy of Music to tune the stage SD10 and the Baldwin R in Ormandy's
>dressing room. The stage was to be at 440, but Ormandy wanted a "high 441"
>in his dressing room.
>

>Conrad Hoffsommer
>You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted,
>then used against you.

The funny thing there is that the dressing room would probably stay at 441.
The stage piano likely will not stay at 440, unless it's tuned at whatever
the hall temperature will be after filling up with people and turning on
the performance illumination.

I would recommend that any tech that tunes for performance run out during
intermission or right after and check pitch. You may be surprised. One of
the artists I've had the opportunity to work for a few times pointed out
that she really didn't need the piano at 441 (as per contract)..... she
just liked for it to not drop below 440 during the performance. She was
absolutely right. And, like us, she "simplified" her actual needs by just
requesting 441 in the contract. Quite often, by the way, that's not enough.

Later,
Guy