Best Way to Tune A Piano Using Accutuner III?

Robert Finley rfinley@rcn.com
Sat, 11 Feb 2006 09:56:52 -0500

For those of you who use an Accutuner III, which way would you recommend =
using it to achieve a fine tuning?  I have heard several different and =
conflicting opinions, and I am wondering what to make of it.=20

A friend of mine told me he achieves a good tuning by using the SAT III =
to perform the FAC calculation, and then tuning chromatically up the =
piano from A0, note by note, also tuning the unisons as he goes, and =
aurally checking the octaves and other intervals. Someone else told me =
that this would be the method to use only for pitch raising and =
achieving stability, but not for fine tuning. Another person told me =
that the temperament should be tuned first and then spread up the piano =
by octaves and then lower. Aural checks would be done to ensure that =
everything sounds correct and the beat rates of the intervals are what =
they should be.  =20

Your opinion on this will be much appreciated. Thank you very much.=20

Robert Finley