Upgrading.....JUST DO IT!

pianotune05 pianotune05@comcast.net
Sun, 12 Feb 2006 08:44:44 -0500

Hi Richard,
I'm glad Im joing the guild.  Unfortunately I don' t have anyone to work =
under or with,b ut I have a great chapter I'm joining plus this list and =
 God's help all wrapped in one educational bundle. =20

I joined a guild that's going to make it a little of a challange to get =
to, but my wife and I can stay over night and bring our 6month old, and =
that works out pretty well.  I'm so excited about joining, and as my =
wife says, I don' t get excited aboutmuch of anything except her, God, =
piano tuning and freelance writing. ;) =20
Marshall
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Moody=20
  To: 'Pianotech List'=20
  Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2006 3:07 AM
  Subject: RE: Upgrading.....JUST DO IT!

  The "upgrading" problem could be solved I think, if there were a third =
category of members, that of Apprentice---   apropos of an organization =
calling itself a guild. =20

  A  piano tuner technician, I have had 12 years full time self employed =
experience after 6 years of apprenticeship and working for others in a =
major metropolitan area.  I wasn't a Guild member because the people I =
studied under were not.   They being over 60 in 1972, preceded the =
Guild.   But I knew about the Guild and substituted tuning for 2 Guild =
members and they for me on occasion.  But business was so good I had no =
time for meetings or the convention even.  One member offered to let me =
read his Journals and I didn't even take advantage of that.  (but I =
should have).

     After I moved to the country and became "semi retired" and 8 years =
later  I found  www.ptg.org  on line and finally decided to join which =
makes you Associate with the opportunity/option to upgrade to RPT

  But so far the category of "associate" is fine for me as it includes a =
subscription to the Journal, the membership rates for the conventions =
and access to ptg  on line services.  From the conventions and internet =
I know more than a few technicians and "members of allied trades" who =
are chose to remain "associate" mainly because they specialize in tuning =
only or rebuilding (and don't tune), design and/or manufacture pianos =
(but don't tune) and one retired professor who as a  teenager spent a =
summer with a piano tuner thinking he might pursue that career.   Good =
thing he got his PhD in music and ended up in academia.  But good for us =
as he is a major supporter and contributor to his local chapter.=20

    For me local chapter involvement has always been out of the =
question.  Back in the 80's I was simply to busy and now it is nearly =
300 miles round trip to  meet with 3 or 4 techs that I could do by =
online conference if that was available.=20

  Now if there were a category of "apprentice" then the debate about =
upgrading would be relegated there. Then the "apprentice" would have the =
encouragement and resources of both RPTs and Associates to upgrade to =
RPT.   =20

  I also believe RPT should be eligible for certificates they could add =
to their resumes like aural tuning, machine tuning, "Certified =
Rebuilder"  a certificate indicating playing level, or a level above RPT =
called Master.  The name Guild begs this IMHO.=20

  Richard Moody     Ass.     oops   associate..=20

  www.pnotec.com=20

  "One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of =
the shore for a very long time."

  Andr=E9 Gide (1859-1951); French writer.