Flat Belly Rail

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 13 Feb 2006 16:32:05 -0500

Ron O wrote:=20
> I pulled one original board which=20
> clearly had lots of crown when it was installed, but the inner was=20
> made flat. The glue joint was good around the outer edge but the=20
> inner edge was only just making contact or just off the rim.

Sound to me like somebody needs to learn how to either spread glue, or =
more likely clamp a glue joint thoroughly!

I've started to use a method that Ron N shared with me. I cut strips of =
scrap plywood the shape and width of the inner =
rim/belly-rail/fish/cut-offs/etc., place them on top of the soundboard =
and use those pieces as clamping blocks. I think use of such blocks, =
along with numerous clamps, insures a pretty darn good glue joint - oh, =
and good glue surfaces and good glue and the proper amount of glue and =
anything else I have neglected to mention.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----=20