Dear Mr. Nossaman.....( Was, "Why wide, flat ribs.....? )

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 16:39:41 -0800 (PST)

In the midst of all the insulting and mean-spirited
stuff you last posted, I have decided to spend a bit
of my valuable time on just this:

> >     NOW, I am postulating that grain orientation
> was
> > an integral, intentional feature of this design. I
> am
> > incredulous regarding your assertion that a
> > quarter-sawn piece of wood will have the same
> > characteristics of elasticity and resistance to
> > compression set, whether the rings run parallel to
> the
> > board ( "Pancaked" ) or perpendicular ( "Vertical"
> ).
>
> Show me a reference of any authoritative source that
> says
> that, please. I've spent lots of hours looking for
> just that
> information through reference material and Internet
> searches,
> with nothing at all to indicate that it's true. I've
> done
> deflection tests on square stock with the annular
> rings both
> vertical and horizontal, with no appreciable
> difference. If
> you have evidence to the contrary that isn't just
> more off the
> top speculative armchair bullshit, I'd really like
> to know the
> source. I'm quite willing to be educated, but the
> information
> had better connect with this universe in some way.

It would be interesting to know whether those who did
these tests examined structural breakdown as a  result
of repeated kinetic stress, or merely compared the two
in a  one-off competition.

Thanks!

P.S. I am very glad I don't get agitated as easily as
you. It is very bad for one's health, and happiness.