Piano Rebuild Client AWOL

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 17:41:24 -0800 (PST)

Hi Terry,

Obviously, there are legal and financial concerns that others have covered very well.

One thing that crossed my mind while reading your post was the classic "just put it together and I will be happy" scenario.  Here are typical outcomes:

- You patch the thing together so it just barely plays (as she requested).  After some time, she decides to sell it and announces that the piano was "totally rebuilt" by Terry Farrell.  I am sure you don't want that!

- A friend of the family visits and tries the piano, but isn't impressed.  The owner mentions that it was "rebuilt" by you.

We all know that you would never sell anything but your best work, but out there, the story may get a life of its own once you return the piano.

If you can establish that the woman who contacted you is the legal owner, I would try to persuade her to invest some amount, perhaps the minimum you need in order to bring the piano into playable condition.

Don't worry about the exterior; anyone will be able to see that it wasn't refinished, so your reputation is not at risk there.  In fact, the worst thing you could do is to make the piano look better than it is.  Hope that helps.

Vladan