FW: Early Steinway Grand research help

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Thu, 16 Feb 2006 06:43:04 -0600

From: Bdshull@aol.com [mailto:Bdshull@aol.com]=20
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 3:47 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org; caut@ptg.org
Subject: Early Steinway Grand research help

=20

Hi, All,

=20

I'm posting to both the pianotech and caut lists.  I'm not a pianotech
listee anymore, so would appreciate pianotech listees to respond
privately.   CAUT listees may respond either on or offlist, use your own
judgment!

=20

I am conducting research on the early Steinway grand, 1856-1883.  (These
pianos nearly all had jointed rims, most had agraffes to the top.)   I
also give a program on the subject - the history/design segment will be
given in Rochester (hope you'll be there!).  The reason I'm posting to
these lists is to seek your help with this ongoing project.  I have
already learned that my fellow technicians are the most important
resource for this project!

=20

I list four areas below where this project could use your help.  You
might suggest others.

=20

1.  Documentation of early Steinways

2.  Discovery of special or unusually important Steinways

3.  Sound documentation of early Steinways

4.  Collection of original parts or pianos

=20

1.  Documentation of early Steinways.

=20

I am gathering data on as many important examples of early Steinway
grands as possible.  This includes=20

=20

photo documentation (as many pictures of as much of the piano and its
components as possible). =20

=20

stringing scale:  at least samples of all C's, plus beginning and ends
of breaks;  prefereably entire string lengths.   Most of these pianos
have tilting agraffes to the top.  It's important to get an accurate
speaking length reading from the actual termination, not the top/front
of the tilted agraffe.

=20

Action documentation.   I use the table Pianotek sells, using standard
Stanwood techniques which come with the table, to obtain key ratios,
wippen weights and hammer weights.  I photograph everything (including
the weighed parts). =20

=20

Original string scale notations are important.

=20

Any piano which appears to have original components is very important.
Bass strings should be partly iron wound, and tuning pins should be 2/0
or smaller. =20

=20

I would like to do all this myself, but can't do it all.   =20

=20

2.  Discovery of special Steinways

=20

Certain early Steinways are important.  For example, according to Roy
Kehl, the incredibly knowledgable Steinway piano historian, seven
prototypes of the "iron grand" of 1869 were built, but he knows of no
extant iron grand.   These were probably sold in the northeast and some
may still exist.  One of you might have even seen this piano and
wondered what it was!   Finding and documenting an iron grand would be a
very important event.

=20

Any fully or partly original piano from the period is important. =20

=20

Unusual actions are important.  the 1860 Steinway Patent Action, the
1871 Theodore Steinway Action, and - ANY original action, with original
parts and hammers.

=20

Centennial Grands (8'9", 1875-1883) are high on the list.  It is my hope
to find one in original condition, and also one which has been so
responsibly rebuilt that it accurately reflects what this incredible
design should sound like.=20

=20

3.  Sound documentation of early Steinways.

=20

I have begun to record early Steinways.  I hope to eventually develop a
recording protocol which is consistent.  Unfortunately all I can do now
is to set up my hi-fi stereo analog camcorder.  It is much better than
nothing, but has drawbacks - sound compression, for example.  But I've
gotten important recordings, for example, an amazing-sounding 1860 flat
strung 8'3" with the Steinway Patent Action.   I dream of finding a
well-rebuilt, or fine original Centennial grand to record.  And a
properly restored 8'5" or 8'6" from the early 1870s would be a good
example of what Anton Rubenstein toured with, on his famous whirlwind
visit to America using a Steinway.

=20

4.  Collection of discarded original parts or pianos.   =20

=20

I have observed that many rebuilders and shops modernize, modify, and
simply toss many parts.  Original action parts and components, original
sostenuto components (from the sheathed, belly-mounted original rod,
hangers and monkey hardware, to the pedal trapwork).  Original
soundboards (if board was replaced).  Even original piano wire is useful
in ascertaining wire content.  =20

=20

Oh.....any seemingly useless piano might be useful too.  Some of these
pianos are now junked or waiting for....something....their rims or
pinblocks/stretchers are so deteriorated that rebuilding is often
unfeasible.  Or rebuilding is simply so cost-prohibitive that the piano
just sits. I'm interested in these pianos too....

=20

Again, this study is NOT a study of the modern Steinway grands, the
letter model pianos we are familiar with.  ALL wing grands built before
1879, and certain grands built until 1883 (especially 8'9" Centennials),
qualify for this project.

=20

I have a page on my website you may also check out:=20

=20

http://www.shullpiano.com/html/early_steinway_grand_research_.html

=20

I welcome all suggestions too!

=20

Thanks for your help.  I can be reached at my cell, (951) 544-0121, or
by email,   bdshull@aol.com=20

=20

Regards,  =20

=20