15mm plug cutter

Jon Page jonpage@comcast.net
Sat, 18 Feb 2006 18:16:38 -0500

>I think I will use my 1/2 tenon/plug cutter. It's good quality and does
>a good job. I had forgotten about Webb Phillip's wood restorer that I
>will use as a glue and filler. It should be OK for lead removing.

Bear in mind that a plug will be smaller than its designated cutter.
The 9/16" (.562)
plugs from Pianotek mic about .546 (which happens to be 35/64").
My 1/2" (.500) plugs mic ~.485 (31/64).

Since a plug cut with a 1/2" cutter doesn't fit snug enough and the
hole is usually
out-of-round I drill it to 35/64" and glue in their 9/16 plug for a
nice, tight, clean fit.

For installing a 1/2" lead, I drill to 31/64". 3/8" leads do alright
with a 3/8" bit.

Since the hole is probably expanded/deformed from the swaging of the lead,
a plug cut from a 15mm (.590) cutter might not be a snug fit. I would
probably ream the hole to 39/64" (.610) and install a plug cut with a
5/8" (.625)
cutter; to allow for the disparity (~.015) as mentioned above.

It seems that a bit 1/64"(.0156) smaller than the designation of the insert
doesn't require the lead to be swaged as much
and the wooden plug to have a proper glue joint.

These bits in 64ths can be purchased from Woodworkers Supply or McMaster-Carr.

Having to use a filler-type adhesive would add time and mess to the
job and just
doesn't look as professional as a fitted plug.
--

Regards,

Jon Page