Has anybody here had success with water-borne wood finishes?

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 18:52:46 -0600

Target, if I remember right, from Homestead Finishing.

Paul C

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Farrell
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 8:49 AM
To: Pianotech List
Subject: Re: Has anybody here had success with water-borne wood finishes?

Exactly which topcoat product are you using Paul?

Terry Farrell

I've done several satin finishes with water based lacquer with good results,
but you must practice long enough to learn how to control the material with
your equipment. I use a fine spray nozzle and adjust the gun pressure for
the results I need.  The finish will lay down to a level film when the gun
is right.  I sprayed straight form the can.  Each coat was allowed to dry
for an hour followed by a light sanding with 220 grit.  Four to five coats
will fill the pores of walnut and mahogany.  I did not wait over an hour
before sanding and recoating.  I have seen disastrous results when the
finish dried for several hours and then sanded to level it.  Sand through
occurred.

Homestead Finishes was the supplier.

Paul C