Bridge Notch Anomaly

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:54:51 -0600

> The bridge isn't notched all the way across on that right-most pin.  On
> the side that the string bears there is certainly a good notch, but to
> the right of that it's not.  Seems like that would actually strengthen
> rather than weaken the pin's hold, but since it looks unusual I thought
> I'd ask.  Extending upward from the un-notched edge there is a
> visible line.  That's the border of the notching.  It is not a crack.
> This is a fairly new piano, about 3 or 4 years old, a Knabe Studio Upright.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Dorr

Notched with a power notcher. The first pass wasn't deep
enough, was noticed after the bridge was moved, was
repositioned and cut deep enough the second pass to bisect the
pin row, but was mispositioned side to side, which was not
noticed.  It's easy to do. I've done it. It won't strengthen
the pin's hold enough to make a difference, but as long as the
string isn't buzzing on the notch edge, it won't hurt anything
either.

Ron N