Bridge Notch Anomaly

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sun, 26 Feb 2006 01:28:44 -0600

> The area is too small for most chisels to get to.
>
> David Love
> davidlovepianos@comcast.net
>

> Why not just use a chisel?
>
> William

Boy, this sucker went south pretty quickly. If hammer voicing
made any difference at all, why in the world would anyone
suspect the notching? Looking at the photo, the notching looks
functionally adequate to me, with the visible anomaly not
obviously a problem. Does anyone else see potential for a real
performance detriment here? I don't, unless the visibly loose
bridge pins cause false beats, which is highly unlikely this
low in the scale. And if the notching isn't demonstrably the
problem, why all this worry about "fixing" it?

I don't get it.

Ron N