Hammer Butt Springs

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:24:48 -0800

Mouse pee!

Terry Peterson

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Isaac Sadigursky" <irs.pianos@earthlink.net>
To: "'Wesley Hardman'" <hardman@hiwaay.net>,   "'Pianotech List'"
<pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: RE: Hammer Butt Springs
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 13:02:31 -0800

Hi,Wsley!

Good post,worth repeating.. The description of this phenomena was in the
Journal good 15 years ago..I wrote it sharing this info after spending some
time with John Light,then with Kimball.John did some research on this topic
and the answer is:Yes,return spring felts were glued with the glue which
later had some reaction,penetrated the felt and affected[oxidation]
springs.Even if they appear intact-it still can be misleading to a novice
technician and the cycle of key easing,hammer flange repining can start
with no results. To make long story longer-all return spring MUST be
replaced and Kathy Voss,RPT from Chickagoland,gave the best program at one
of the Nationals.Her method of replacing springs is the most efficient..Done
it,it works!! Best of Luck.. Isaac

   _____