Anything wrong with finishing keysticks?

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:39:17 -0800 (PST)

Dear Terry,
     I agree with you that natural ebony is gorgeous.
It is NOT however, impervious to the acidic sweats and
salts in fingers, not to mention boogers, various
bodily fluids, etc..  Some people ( especially heavy
carnivores, as a matter of fact) have REALLY
destructive sweat, and I've seen plenty of pianos
where the sharps, and sides of naturals, for that
matter, are quite literally melted away. I might leave
the sharps unfinished on my own piano, as I wash my
hands every time I use it. But for the general
"hoi-poloi"? Nope. Bad idea, unless you enjoy
depleting rare wood species.
     Thump