v-bar/capo repair

Barbara Richmond piano57@insightbb.com
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:13:21 -0600

Howdy,

Back to the 8' Seiler grand.  Sorry if I'm starting to sound like a =
broken record.  Here's the story:  I serviced this piano when it was =
new.  Not long into its life, it developed a noisy duplex at the low end =
of the treble section.  I muted it off.  I tuned it for a few years, I =
moved away...

I moved back.  In the meantime, the piano was restrung.  I started =
servicing it again a year after it was delivered.  9 months into =
servicing it, the noisy duplex returned in the exact same spot--but add =
another note.  I freaked out (not in front of the customer), the =
customer freaked out, too (not in front of me).  I contacted the =
rebuilder who said he filed the capo. He and I came to the conclusion =
(whether we are correct or not) that it is a case of soft cast iron.  I =
looked up hardening cast iron in the archives.  To do that would mean =
taking the plate out of the piano and that's not an option.  I'm =
convinced if I refile the capo, the same thing is going to happen again. =
=20

I know there are some pianos that have some sort of rod installed at the =
v-bar.  Is it possible to do the same with this piano at the capo?  Has =
anyone done it?  Do you have detailed instructions?  Will someone hold =
my hand?.....Please?

Thanks,

Barbara Richmond, RPT