Up & down vs; side to side string motion was; false beats from ?? -...

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Sun, 01 Jan 2006 01:42:59 +0100

/>  rusty strings, capo hardness or shaping, bridge pins not seated at
 >the bottom of the hole, a kink in the wire, twist in the wire,
 >string leveling, coils, duplex scales, evil spirits,.....llama spit?/
/>What is also interesting is that you only have to place a small
screwdriver
 >blade quite gently on top of the bridge pin and the beating will  cease.

 >ric
/
What is also  interesting is that you can speed up and slow down the
beat depending on how much pressure you put on the pin. Or you can cause
a beat that wasnt there to begin with by exerting pressure on a pin.
You can also exert pressure in either direction an achieve the same
results.  All of which points in a different direction then a bridge pin
wobbling around in its barely loose hole.  You can also manipulate some
of the above mentioned bits and actually stop the beat on occasion.
Doesnt really matter what the success rate is or isnt beyond it being a
significant number of times.

What we actually know about the screwdriver trick is that it stresses
the bridge pin (in either direction) and it adds considerable mass.  If
we put that into the context of whether we are actually dealing with a
loose pin or not we find there is far less a coincidence then present
popular notion would have us believe.  For my part I'd like to find out
what the root core of this particular beat is. Doing so would provide a
solution that always eliminates the thing... not just 50-60 % of the time.

Cheers
RicB