Trailer ideas?

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 1 Jan 2006 17:28:21 EST

Trailer haulers
  After trying several incarnations of Piano trailers I  had one made which
was 10 ft long  by 5 ft 4" inside width & 6 ft 6  inches tall.  I'm 6 ft 4 so I
didnt' wish to klunk my head.  It has a  fold down gate with an overhead
garage type assist spring to lower the  door. opening it is as effortless as
closing.
     We use it as a ramp. & leave the  pianos on the dolly.  It's a sweet set
up.  We have tandem drop axles  which lowers the C.G. & reduces wind
resistance. Tandem axles  reduce the excessive bumpin & thumpin that charachterizes
the ride  of  a single axle & makes for a way smoother ride.  It is not  over
built or that heavy & I can  haul two upright or 2 grands up to 9  1/2 ft side
by side.
  Love it
  Dale Erwin

I design and build trailers for the piano trade and have found that if  you
just move 2 pianos every once in a while but move mostly one at a  time a 5 x
10 single axle with extra height and a side door and a double door  on the back
is the way to go. You can order the extra clearance for the  door and take
care of 90% of the pianos that you move. I use a fix wheel dolly  and block the
piano on the dolly. the blocks are carpeted and are about 1/2  inch taller
than the dolly. I also use a 5 ft ramp to go into the   trailer so I can use it
other places like jumping steps. I have room in the  front for a shelf to hold
my supplies and for storage of kits and touch up  stuff. I also have 2 e
tracks on each side  to tie down with. this  trailer was also design to be pulled
with a mid size pick up like a s 10 or a  dakota. if you would like to talk
with me about ieas or to have one built  for you just call. one of the problems
with trialer people is that! when  you mention pianos that think that you have
to a trilaer to handle lots and  lots of weight but you can have  a light
weight trailer to handle all  your needs.