New Year's rant; my 2 cents

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sun, 1 Jan 2006 21:40:30 -0800

The "Full Service Appointment", which we've discussed on the list on several
occasions and is suggested by both Andrew/Rebecca and Susan, is the logical
answer.  I also don't like to feel like I'm charging for every little thing
I do.  The basic fee covers enough time to do the little things like Susan
mentioned: a minor cleaning, a bit of lubrication, touch up voicing, etc.
Additional work beyond the scope of the basic fee/time is scheduled later as
mentioned by Andrew/Rebecca.  I think that's a good way to approach it.  I
do think it is more likely that people will be annoyed by the list of minor
charges than they would be by a higher to begin with fee which covered the
same things even if the amounts turned out to be exactly the same.

On the other matter, the total income one produces is more likely a function
of the economic environment one lives in, how much you want to work, and
your ability to expand your services and volume through the use of
contractors.  You can barely live where I live for less than a "six figure
income", and because of the prevailing rates, it doesn't take much to get
there.  Producing a high six figure income (or a six figure tax bill) takes
more organization and thought, making decisions about what you must do
yourself and what you can entrust to others (with your oversight, of
course).  In the end it can be more financially rewarding, less stressful,
and allow you to spend more time on the areas that you consider important
for putting your personal stamp on the projects, are particularly good at,
or just enjoy more.

Live to work or work to live--you don't always have to make that choice.