New Years Resolution

pianotune05@comcast.net pianotune05@comcast.net
Mon, 02 Jan 2006 20:53:23 +0000

Are my e-mails making it to the list?  I've sen two with no reply.  If they are getting through please let me know.  Thanks.
Marshall

From: David Andersen <david@davidandersenpianos.com>

> Once you have the Yamaha free of its swaddling clothes
> and restraints, it certainly will want a couple of tunings --
> but sometimes I've found Yamaha's regulation is really
> good right out of the box

Ooohhh.  I respectfully beg to differ.  I prepared dozens of new Yamaha grands over the last 6 years, and in my experience, the repetition springs are ALWAYS too strong, and the jack position always needs refinement (especially after you weaken the springs,) which brings the letoff closer, but usually not close enough, then ya gotta do the drop, then ya gotta make SURE the blow distance is at least 46mm and the key travel is a hair over 10mm.

These things above, plus getting the glides right (I’ve talked about this before) makes a striking improvement in the spielart and tone of the piano. Very satisfying, because I’ve experienced it to be a predictable outcome every time.

David Andersen