<oops> for Marshall

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Mon, 02 Jan 2006 13:20:45 -0800

At 08:55 PM 1/2/2006 +0000, you wrote:
>this is a test. does thie e-mali show up on the list? I 've sent several
>and no reply to either of them.  Computers ,I tell you...
>Marshall
>ps. maybe my questions are too stupid to answer. :)

Oops -- the post below was a answer to your enquiry about how to reply. I just
got confused and called you Rick, the other fellow, who made the New Years
Resolution ..

Now, as to tips -- you'll probably want to get a #1, #2, and #3. Most
pianos you meet will have #2 pins, but some old antiques or European
pianos will have #1's. Some of the extremely old stuff might even be
smaller than #1, which makes them only marginally tunable with a #2
tip. For rebuilt pianos with oversized pins, or for pianos where the
pins have been chewed up in some way or other, the larger #3 will be
needed.

Also, get a tip wrench, so you can change them. You put the tip wrench
in your tuning hammer, with the wrench lying flat on the floor and
the tuning hammer handle sticking up. You stand on the wrench, and
then give some sharp tugs to the hammer handle to free up the tip. They
get very firmly threaded on after a little bit of use.

What style of head you get is largely a matter of personal preference.
I prefer a short head with a steep angle.

There are a few specialty items which might be nice to have on hand,
since when you need them you really need them, and there is seldom time
to get them.

Just in case you feel adventurous, and are faced with a square grand,
you might want to have an oblong tip. There's an extender thingee which
Schaff sells, for tuning pins which are too close to plate struts. It has a
screw thread for mounting a tip, and the other end is shaped like a tuning
pin.
I leave the oblong tip installed on it. Then I can move it from pin to
pin on a square grand, and tune it with my normal hammer. If the oblong
tip were installed on my normal hammer directly, I would only have two
angles where it engaged the tuning pin, but by using the extender, I
have the usual 8, because I'm using the normal star tip.

Also, it doesn't hurt to have a harpsichord lever or T-hammer in your kit.
It also works on zithers.

There will come the day (don't ask me how I know ...) when you will manage
to leave a tuning fork in a piano. (If you're an aural tuner, at least.)
Duplicates of all basic tuning tools, kept in the car somewhere
other than your kit, is a good idea. And of course stringing things and
a full assortment of treble wire. In Indiana in the summer, you'll want to
figure out a way to keep it dry.

If you tune aurally, you might consider two unusual forks: a 435, for very
old pianos, which were designed for 435, and a 442, just in case somebody
who plays at that pitch in orchestra wants it. I use them once in a blue
moon.

Susan