RUBBER MUTES

pianotune05 pianotune05@comcast.net
Mon, 2 Jan 2006 21:52:06 -0500

Hi Allen,
You're right about prayer though seriously, and I'm not trying to scare =
anyone off who doesn' t believe in Christ as saviour etc.  What I mean =
is, God continues to help me as a beginning tuner get work although not =
steady at this point.  I'm in South Bend IN and we have about 8 or maybe =
10 tuners perhaps more that I haven' t met or heard of.  Every time I =
e-mail a church or school, I get the usual, we already have a tuner.  So =
I've been discouraged before. =20

I like the cracking the notes or unisons method because I don' t have to =
fool with felts and the visual aggrevation of pushing them in etc.  I'm =
hoping that my new lever will increase my speed etc. =20
Marshall
p.s. Too bad Schaff doesn't make a tooth brush we can screw onto our =
levers.  The 15 degree angle might be perfect for tough to reach teeth =
after eating pop corn. :)
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan Barnard=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Monday, January 02, 2006 8:35 PM
  Subject: RE: RUBBER MUTES

  1. KEEP your student tuning lever. It makes a nice back-up for =
emergencies or to carry in a lightweight pack when you travel, etc., but =
mostly it is useful because the tip won't unscrew on you if you are =
trying to back out a very tight pin. It is also handy and light for =
restringing work.

  2. On uprights, I use a regular felt strip in the tenor and a thin =
felt strip in the treble but only after the last damper. For the =
dampered treble I use one long stick mute (the kind Pianotek selss) on =
the right side of the trichord, down low below the top of the damper =
felt and, on the left side of the trichord I use a long skinny rubber =
mute without a stick. I think I got it at Schaff. It's about 6 inches =
long and only about a 1/4 to 3/8 inch wide. This I stick as high as I =
can up against the V bar and in deeply enough to be snug. The mutes =
don't interfere with the hammers at all.

  I tune the center string, move the right mute to the right of the next =
higher trichord, tune the right string, move the top mute to the left of =
that next higher trichord, then tune the left string. Then you are ready =
to tune the center string of that next note, etc.. When you've finished =
the treble, you must go back and check/fine tune/crack the notes you =
tuned with mutes because you don't hear all three strings played =
together as you are tuning up.=20

  I would talk to a sight-impaired tuner for tips on placing mutes and =
not having the piano eat them. When I tune player pianos, I tie my mutes =
together with a long string so I can fish one out if it drops. Something =
like that might help.

  Good luck, get active in PTG, attend meetings and =
conferences/conventions, eat your Wheaties, brush your teeth, say your =
prays, and have fun. When you get discouraged--and you definitely =
will--just remember that we have ALL been there and are now here for =
you!

  Alan Barnard
  Salem, Missouri

    ----- Original Message -----=20