Plate lettering

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Tue, 03 Jan 2006 08:13:40 -0600

> Looks like heat needs to be involved in the process of finishing the
> application. It might prove something of a challenge to apply it to the
> plate. Have you already done this Ron?
>
> Dean

I have. No heat used, other than what the printer uses to fuse the
toner. I test print first on a regular sheet of paper. Then I tape
an appropriately sized piece of the transfer paper over the printed
image (so I know it's positioned right) and run it through again to
print the image on the decal paper. Pull the decal paper off of the
page, remove tape, trim to size, and you have a water slide decal.
Soak it in water until the top film will slide off of the paper
backing, and slide it onto the plate. Blot down and squeeze out all
the water, let dry, and top coat. No heat or complicated
installation process required. It's an old fashioned water slide
decal like we used to use before we got spoiled by the rub on
transfer stuff. I use it for serial numbers, and it would work just
fine for tiny little string gage numbers too.

Ron N