Dale, Dave and Dave on rebuilding

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Tue, 03 Jan 2006 15:49:08 +0100

Hi folks

Just got done reading the article on rebuilding / redesigning the small
grand in the latest issue of the Journal. Nicely expressed opinions
written on the subject by all three.  Our one and only Dale Erwin was
the star of the show IMO however.  A great testimonial in favour of
those not hesitating to dive into redesigning a smaller instrument and
employing rib-crowning methods for soundboard construction. Not the
least... all done in great style.  Good stuff all the way around tho by
all three.

The article did bring up one question in my mind however.  Just how much
extra work / time (and thereby expense) goes into a sucessfull re-design
of a small piano. In Dales example it seemed like things went rather
straight forward and required only minimal planning and thinking
through, yet in the first example by Dave Snyder there seemed to be all
kinds of issues that needed work arounds.

Cheers
RicB