Knabe Tuning Mystery

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 3 Jan 2006 20:17:18 -0800

Tom said: "
Yes, these two pianos are definitely at the extreme ends of the humidity
reactivity spectrum.

Tuning pins are very tight in the block; I wouldn't use 3/0 pins without
reaming first. But loose pins wouldn't make the pitch go sharp like
that, so I will be checking block to plate fit and plate bolt tightness
as others have mentioned. Since the tuning is so reactive, I will
definitely be installing a DC system (which I very seldom do in this
Pacific Coast town).

I was wondering what could be going on with the soundboard itself that
would cause the treble to move so much. But I guess that board/plate
shifting would explain it better.

Good idea about pieces of hardboard for moving the piano out from the
wall. For a fussy customer, one could put some felt on the bottoms and
raise the piano with a modified pry bar (Yat Lam Hong idea that Isaac
had made and Joe Goss sold)."

Tom,
With a 75% humidity, I'd be wondering why the other piano DIDN'T react! I think the Knabe reacted as it should. I do a lot of Oregon Coastal pianos and about half of them needed Damp-Chasers plus Humidistats to get them to stabilize.  The other half are in very modern homes that do not have temp/hum. problems.
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I