Working while tuning

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Wed, 04 Jan 2006 23:50:24 -0600

> You can get asked the question no matter how long you've been in the
> business. Whether you've done something klutzy with the case parts, or
> you look like you're in your nineties, it can mean different things.
> Sometimes I think they're asking if you can actually make a living
> tuning pianos and they might *expect* that you also have a day job.
>
> Confidence is important, as Dean said, so if you get asked about it
> specifically, you can give an honest answer and make it sound like
> you're a veteran.
>
> Tom Cole

I think they ask because I'm obviously comfortable with the
situation, can get the lid open on the first try (after the family
history and botanical gardens are relocated), and have a tool case
full of all sorts of mysterious implementia that I give the
impression of recognizing when I open it. Carrying on a
conversation, making the occasional dumb joke or literary reference,
and strip muting at the same time (multitasking) gives the
impression of experience too. Throw in the fact that most folks
can't easily grasp the possibility that someone might actually do
this for a living, as Guy indicated, and they have enough
contradictory signals to fire their curiosity. Granted, it's on more
of a "Is that supposed to smoke like that" sort of level than a real
effort to grasp the working reality of the self employed, but at
least it's an attempt to communicate with the service guy on a human
level. You have to start somewhere.

The discussions on subjects they can't bring up with anyone else
they know tend to start on the second or third visit, usually
prompted by the dumb jokes and literary references. Hey,
entertainment, like gold and the remains of Jimmy Hoffa, is where
you find it.

Beats working for a living.

Ron N