Cracking the unisons

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Fri, 06 Jan 2006 10:08:14 -0800

Hello, Ed

Weinreich effect? Any place I can find out about that? But I agree that
it happens, as you describe it. One can even pluck across unisons, and
find a different profile for some which still sound uniform with the
others, just listening with bare (if aging) ears.

My feeling is that there's a lot more than just frequency for setting unisons,
since one has to make false beats (even small, slow ones) cancel each other in
a particular way for the beauty of sound to emerge. Not, perhaps, the most
efficient way, which sometimes causes the sound to contract and go thin and
white. And of course, it has to be stable.

I don't use the box, so this is off the top of my head, but I feel that to
get the sound consistent and warm and round and all those good things one
needs such a connection with the sound and its properties that one feels
immersed in it. I don't think I'd like to share the mental space with a
very factual widget with flashing lights or turning circles, etc. Besides,
flashing lights make me uneasy.

Just MHO (Marshall, "my HUMBLE opinion" ... i.e., if this seems arrogant,
it is unintended.)

As usual, Ed, you give us a good and interesting read, which sets me to
thinking of various things.

ssssssssnnn