Cracking the unisons

b98tu@t-online.de b98tu@t-online.de
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 01:40:25 +0100

Hi Ric,

yes, there was a contest at the BDK convention between aural tunnig (done by
me) and a Tunelab tuning done by Wolfgang Wiese
(european Tunelab distributor).

Shortly said, the Tunelab tunig won the race with the votes for the aural
tuning.

The explanation:

The left piano was named "Piano B" and was tuned with the help of Tunelab.
The right piano was named "Piano A" and was tuned by me aurally (Onlypure
method, Pure 12th tempereament)

30 votes were given by piano tuners, who did not know what piano was tuned
in what manner.
Unfortunately they get a paper with two columns, with the left column named
"Piano A" and the right column "Piano B"
There were 5 criteria:
Unisons, temperament, bass stretch, treble stretch, and overall impression,
for every criterium on could to vote for one or the other instrument.

Paul Stöckle, long years chief of of the european Fazioli distributor Piano
Fischer in Stuttgart, referated immediately after the contest, and without
knowing who tuned what piano, he immediately stated that he immediately had
recognized the aural tuning as the piano on the right side, and that it
sounds far better than the other one.

After counting the votes, The ETD had won with about 60 % to 40 % . This
result was publisehd immediately after the voting and shocking also for
Stöckle.

So far so bad.

Having analyzed the votes later showed, that 1/3 of the votes have seen that
they have voted for the wrong instrument, and remarked the columns. From
this votes (who have seen that the columns of the vote paper is is different
from the piano standing), the aural tuning get about 80%  for overall
impression, unisons, bass stretch and treble stretch. The temperament was
voted about 60 / 40 for the ETD. (The temperament was really difficult to
stabilize in my arual tuning, but later i was told that the piano i had to
tune, was used before for a seminar with Reyburn´s Impact lever seminar,
where the newbies turned the tuning pin up around a half tone.)

The other 2/3 of the votes have not remarked, that the piano standing was
different to the voting paper columns and had a result in the complete other
tendency that means the same tendency of 80/ 20 for treble stretch, bass
stretch, overall impression and unsisons for the other piano, and 60 / 40
for the temperament but for the ETD, i.e the ETD tuning probably profited
from the aural votes in that case.

Finally said, a 80/20 result for the aural tuning was turned into 60 / 40
for the ETD due to this mistake.

In later discussions, all professionals stated, that the aural tuning on the
right sided Piano A was far better than the ETD tuning. (Also the pianist
Ragna Schirmer preferred the aural tuned piano at the concert she gave the
evening)

So a revanche is neeeded with avoiding such mistakes. Would be interesting
to make a contest with the Verituner.

regards,

Bernhard